Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Just some thoughts

I am generally think of myself as a short term kinda person. I prefer projects that have quick results. I love the idea of quilting but I lack the dedication that it takes to complete the masterpiece. I prefer to start something that I can finish in one or two sittings before I loose interest or the inspiration fades to the point that it becomes a monotonous chore!
On the other hand, I have committed to a lifetime of marriage to my amazing husband and when I think about that time frame, I am happy and blessed to walk that out. I already have five great and quirky kids to whom I am fully committed to loving and nurturing as they grow into adults and beyond. I love developing relationships with people and growing into deeper and more meaningful friendships year after year.
Relationships take dedication and prayer. If I aproached adoption like a hobby, I would have given it up a long time ago! I know that God has planted this seed deep in our hearts because as we perservere, our committment to our future children is renewed as we move forward past each obstacle.
I remember when my sister, Rebekah, was adopting from Sierra Leone. The country wasn't even open to foreign adoption at the time but they moved forward in prayer. As they walked it out, God opened the door and they walked through it. She said to me that adopting was like an extremely long pregnancy. You have conceived a child in your heart, you fill out all the paperwork and do a homestudy in preparation and with expectation that you will hold that child in your arms. At the time I thought that I could never wait so long, but God is faithful to give us the strength we need to walk out what He asks of us.
So I will wait on the Lord and He will renew my strength.

2 comments:

  1. I am so blessed to be one of those friends that you have not tossed aside in one or two sittings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i look forward to a million more sittings with you, Katie! you are one in a million!!

    ReplyDelete